But in case you didn't notice, it is dark February and, well, sometimes life comes easier than in the middle of winter, too. And make no mistake, I haven't yet posted my "I hate winter" post that typically comes this time of winter.
Well, I aim to fix that, so here goes.
- I hate the salt stains that form on my sneakers from walking to work. I would like salt stains on my bathing suit from the ocean while in Tahiti. Yes.
- I strongly dislike that there are roughly fifty minutes of daylight after I get off of work. Granted that is increasing by a minute or two a day, but I would prefer four and a half hours of sunlight, please. Is that so much to ask?
- I do not like that most of the time my white van looks like it just survived the fallout from a volcanic blast. Yes, my van is white. It says so in the owners manual.
- I loathe that I must make a decision each day on whether to wear my heavy winter coat or my slightly less heavy winter coat, depending on the forecast. I would like to not wear a coat. Again, is that too much to ask?
- I prefer not to think about the fact that my furnace sounds a bit like a 747 taking off and landing when it starts and shuts down. Takeoffs happen about every 8 minutes and landings come about three minutes after. Life at the airport is noisy.
- I hate that the last thing I do before I leave every building is check my coat pockets for my hat and gloves. As I mentioned, I would like to not wear a coat, let alone gloves and a hat.
- I mourn unfrozen lakes every time I see my kayak sitting on its racks in the garage. I am so far from launching that thing that it makes me sad.
- I have a severe distaste for glaciated snowbanks, some of which may never melt and most of which are perilous to navigate. This time of year, I become adept at hurdling them, but I'm sure it's not a pretty picture.
- I miss sitting on my porch with the windows open. As it is, right now, I only go on the porch to vacuum the salt that's been dragged in from the front steps.
- I feel sorry for my dog whose paws take the beating from the salt laid down by zealous homeowners.
- I am super annoyed by those snowfalls/snow flurries that leave an inch of snow on my driveway. Sometimes we get a 3 day system where that happens three times in 72 hours. Being a psychotic Midwesterner, I HAVE to shovel it. It'll wreck an otherwise perfect driveway/walk if I leave it to get trampled, after all.
- I hate that during the cold snaps, I need to wear long underwear which, when accompanied with my seven pounds of winter fat, make my pants feel like they are tights. Man tights. Not a good look.
Now, to be fair, we've had a rel
atively mild winter. Almost ridiculously so. December was kind of a joke, and we've really only had one significant snowfall and two good(?) cold snaps. So I really have nothing to complain about. But it's what we like to do most in winter, so I did. And never mind that winter seems to be on its 260th day.
|Oh yeah, and I hate this too.|
All I know is that tomorrow we gain one more minute of glorious sunlight. (Which will no doubt be shrouded in a think blanket of grey blech.)
I'm going to run with that, because I'm...